SOS! Time is Running Out - and I Haven't Found my Dream Dress!
My wedding is around the corner, and I still haven’t found my dream dress. Do you have any recommendations for where I can find a beautiful, affordable, simple yet elegant dress that I can get right away? Thanks! - Want to say Yes to the Dress
Saying “yes" to the dress can be one of the most exciting, nerve-racking, emotional and eye-opening experiences of the wedding planning journey. As the bride, all eyes will be on you and your dress - and you want to wear something that reflects your style and personality and makes you feel like the star of the day. Many women have been dreaming of their wedding dress since they were little girls, while some women have no idea what they want to wear on their special day. If you’re like me, the dress you imagined yourself walking down the aisle in may be completely different to the dress you end up falling in love with after trying on various styles.
Don’t worry about the amount of days to go until your wedding - this will just add extra stress. There are plenty of ways you can find something beautiful and elegant… in time and within budget.
Here are a few dress-finding tips:
- Spend some time online - and not just on Pinterest! Many recent brides have beautiful dresses that they are looking to sell. They take up so much room in closets and are rarely ever worn (or even looked at) again. You may have some luck finding something (possibly in your own size) on craigslist, eBay or other online forums.
- Call your local bridal salons and let them know your situation. Find out if they have any samples in your budget and style preference that they can sell you at a discount. If you buy it off the rack, you won’t have to go through the ordering process and can begin alterations right away.
- Be open-minded. You may find that the dress you’ve been dreaming of really isn’t the dress you belong in. Try on many different dresses in various styles (A-line, ballerina, ballgown, empire, mermaid, sheath), colors (white, ivory, Champagne) and fabrics (chiffon, satin, silk, organza, tulle). Who knows? You may just fall in love with something you hadn’t imagined or considered.
- Check out bridal department stores (such as David’s Bridal) that will carry a wide selection of wedding gowns in various sizes. This will be a great one-stop shop that will also carry your other bridal accessories including shoes, veils, head pieces, handbags and jewelry.
- Consider a vintage dress and check out consignment stores, thrift stores and other vintage clothing stores. You may find a classic and one-of-a-kind gem.
- Find out if any local bridal salons are having trunk shows or sample sales, where the dress designer will bring their entire collection and provide a personal consultation. Trunk shows take place throughout the year so there may be one happening in your area soon.
Don’t give up hope! Your perfect dress still awaits you.
Love, laughter and happiness,